Couples who have been having unprotected sex for a year, without conceiving, are considered infertile. However, "normal" couples can have anywhere between one-two years of unprotected sex before conceiving. It is recommended to consult your doctor to get some tests done on both you and your spouse at the end of a year.
Typical tests that are done for women are -
- Pap smear to identify abnormal cervical cells
- Breast exams to check for lumps and general health
- Blood test to check if the main hormones like FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, progesterone are present in optimum level.
- Ultrasound of the pelvis, both transabdominal and transvaginal, to check the health of the ovaries and the uterus.
- Hysterosalpingogram, to determine the working of the fallopian tubes as this cannot be done using ultrasound